Sunday, July 13, 2008

Leaving Los Angeles....




I'll admit it --I am depressed at the thought of leaving Los Angeles. Leaving all of the things I love: my darling apartment with its hardwood floors, crown moulding and vintage charm; the amazing group of friends that have shared EVERYTHING with me over the years; the kooky, hole in the wall, ethnic restaurants that I've hand selected (one for each cuisine: Ethiopian, Lebanese, Korean, Indian, Mexican, Greek, Thai etc...); my kick ass job as a celebrity publicist; the perfection in a Spanish Latte at Urth Caffe; the vintage modern stores on Pico; the cupcakes I crave from La Provence; the Farmer's market on Third and Fairfax; Stella, my waxing guru who still only charges $25 for a brazillian. I even had a freakout about green landscaping and grass. How on earth would I survive in the land of desert rocks and cacti?

and then it hit me....

I think I'm depressed because I KNOW Los Angeles like the back of my hand. True, not a day goes by where I don't discover something new, but for the most part, I always know exactly where I'm headed when I leave the house and I always have a perfect solution for everything. I also have this mental image of Phoenix as a shiny, new homogeneous city --where everything is taupe and beige.

That is why I'm starting this blog: as a challenge to myself to Find Phoenix and learn the intricacies of this new city.

No comments: